JOB DESCRIPTION: FACILITIES MANAGER
TITLE: Facilities Manager
FUNCTION: Facilities Management of Facility.
HOURS OF WORK: 08H00 – 17H00 (Min. 40 hours per week)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Administrator
Email application letter and CV to Fareed Abrahams at [email protected]
Closing date Monday 12th April 2021 at 17H00
· Appropriate qualification with at least five years experience in facility management and business administration.
· Well-versed in operations and facilities management best practices
· Knowledge of finance principles
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent organizational and leadership skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Good analytical/critical thinking
· Knowledge of and experience in human resources management (recruitment, performance management, etc.).
· Project Management skills and experience
· Other attributes:
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
HIGH LEVEL RESPONSIBILITY:
- Cleanliness, safety, security and overall state of the Campus. Portfolios include general assistants, kitchen staff, security and driver).
- Function within the relevant policies, procedures and legislation of Parliament, Labour, local municipal by-laws and the institution.
- Maintain administrative files of pertinent Acts, regulations, policies and procedures for reference and orientation of staff.
- Ensure policies and procedures are up-to-date and staff are trained accordingly.
- Ensure all necessary registers and records are kept and are up-to-date at all times.
- Assess the needs of the unit regarding staff, equipment and supplies in order to achieve optimum facility and service standards.
- Draw up planning rosters relating to:
- staff shifts
- day/night rotation for the year
- annual leave
- daily work schedules
- supply orders – requirements, ordering days, etc.
- training/education roster
- Ensuring that facilities meet government regulations and environmental, health and security standards and own internal standards.
- Supervising multi-disciplinary teams of staff including cleaning, maintenance, grounds and security
- Ensuring that basic facilities, such as water and heating, etc. are well-maintained
- Overseeing contracts and providers for services including security, cleaning, pest control, catering, technology, etc.
- Allocating and managing space within buildings
- Advising the Administrator/Board on increasing energy efficiency and cost-effectiveness
- Overseeing small building projects, renovations or refurbishments
- Submit a monthly report to the Administrator and making written recommendations on how processes and the facility can be improved.
- Assist Nursing Manager with preparations for new admissions.
- Investigate and implement corrective measures if errors, complaints, incidents occur.
- Be available for emergency call outs.
- Promote working relationships with staff and instill motivation.
- Ensure full complement of staff on duty and take immediate action to correct if not.
- Ensure staff receive necessary training pertaining to duties and other general matters (e.g. health and safety, first aid, etc.)
- Assess staffing ratio and motivate increase/reduction in relation to facility care and needs and take corrective action when required.
- Monitor attendance, punctuality, appearance, behaviour and performance.
- Plan and implement in-service education program.
- Implement counselling and/or disciplinary action as required
- Devise and implement orientation program for all new staff.
- Monitor staff performance and evaluate according to staff appraisal form – annual for permanent staff, monthly for contract and new staff until appointed to permanent post.
- Order uniforms for new staff and replacement of condemned uniforms for permanent staff (Admin staff receive an allowance every 3 years).
- Liaise with Administrator regarding staff matters that require escalation .
- Arrange for relief for staff on sick or annual leave.
- Complete all relevant documentation relating to WCA (IOD) incidents.
- Conduct necessary disciplinary interventions
- Submit orders on dates according to monthly roster for:
- food (where applicable)
- general supplies, chemicals (where applicable)
- Submit monthly returns to the Administrator regarding
- food consumption (where applicable)
- stock levels
- petty cash, pocket money and banking
- cleaning and other equipment needed for the effective care and running of the facility
- Compile and submit accurate
- monthly facility related report
- quarterly Health & Safety meeting minutes.
- minutes of staff meetings
- night duty/public holiday claims
- safety meeting minutes
- Plan, arrange and chair staff meetings, minimum once per quarter per shift.
- Attend official meeting as per year planner.
- Discuss all matters relating to the running of the facility with the Nursing Manager and Administrator.
- Maintain the asset register pertaining to the facility
- Plan, organise and evaluate regular fire drills – twice per annum – in conjunction with the Nursing Manager.
- Perform/enforce performance appraisals for all staff under control
- Compile and implement staff changes/shift register
- Requisition for maintenance or repair of building/equipment
- Compile and submit accurate
Housekeeping and Catering
- Maintain high standard of hygiene by ensuring an effective cleaning program in all areas.
- Ensure correct ordering, use, storage and control of chemicals and supplies.
- Supervise ordering, correct storage and usage of perishable and non-perishable food.
- Monitor and manage food consumption costs.
- Monitor quality, appearance and nutritional value of food.
- Identify cost saving areas and implement cost saving measures.
- Promote capacity usage of facility to ensure optimum income.
- Prepare and motivate for annual budget with timeous submission.
- Ensure that unit building and the surrounds are maintained and kept in good order.
- Damage or deterioration to be reported/attended to timeously.
- Extraordinary maintenance and repairs to be discussed with Administrator before attended to.
- Ensure a functional and active Health & Safety Committee.
- Chair quarterly Health & Safety meetings and ensure correction of identified hazards.
- Monthly completion and submission of Health & Safety reports to Administrator and action of non-compliant items.
- On-going education and training on Health & Safety.
- Conduct regular health and safety checks as specified in various policies
Liaise with members of public regarding:
- General Donations – food, clothing, meals, etc.
Public enquiries pertaining to resident matters to be referred to the Nursing Manager
All other public matters to be referred to the Administrator
Internal synergy and co-operation
- Liaise with Nursing Manager and other key staff members on matters that overlap, e.g. resident outings, functions for residents at the facility, transport, hygiene and safety of the facility, etc.
As delegated by the Administrator.